The 2019 O’Brien House Essay Contest is open to:
1. High school students in Louisiana enrolled in the years 2019 and 2020
2. Adults in the state of Louisiana participating in an active recovery program.
There are two contests: one for high school students and one for adults.
The 2019 O'Brien House Essay Contests deadlines for submissions are both on September 1st, 2019. The winners will be recognized and awarded prizes at the prestigious O’Brien House Annual Breakfast in September 2019. Date to be announced soon.
The essay committee is open to hosting writing therapy sessions at various recovery centers. For information about attending or hosting a session, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2019 ESSAY TOPIC:
For both teens and adults, address as many of the essay prompts as possible as they apply to your own story (teens: or someone you know).
Note: Teens may tell either a story about his/her own addiction or the story of a loved one’s journey with addiction. Adults must tell their own story about addiction and recovery.
Strive to tell your story in a strong, narrative form, and be honest.
1. What significant event(s) occurred in your or (teens: or your loved one’s life) that you feel affected your journey with/through addiction?
2. Share your personal journey.
3. How has addiction impacted you and your family? Your life perspective? What will you do differently now as a result of living through this? Do you feel adequate resources were available to help you and your family?
2019 High School Contest Prizes:
1st Place = New PC or Macbook Pro for Essay Writer + $1000 to school
2nd Place = $500 to Essay Writer + $500 to school
3rd Place = $250 to Essay Writer + $250 to school
2019 Adults in Recovery Contest Prizes:
1st Place = New PC or Macbook Pro for Essay Writer + $250 cash
2nd Place = $500 cash
3rd Place = $250 cash