2017 Essay Contest Rules for Submission
The O'Brien House essay contest is open to high school students who are currently enrolled in high school for the year 2017/2018 in the state of Louisiana in grades 9-12. Only one (1) submission per student is allowed.
Applicants must submit a typed essay (1,000–1,500 words) answering the following questions:
- How has addiction touched you personally?
- Why do you see drug abuse and addiction as a problem for individuals and society?
- What is the best way for society to overcome the issue of drug abuse, and why?
- What would an addiction-free world look like, and how would it differ from the world today?
- What message do you have for current addicts?
The essay must state the word count and must include the writer's full name (both first and last name), along with the his or her high school and grade, email address, phone number, and permanent address.
The winning applicants will be determined based on the essay content, style and originality. Judges are looking for logically organized and creative essays.
Essays must be submitted in one of the following formats:
- Microsoft Word Document
- Adobe PDF
Essays must be emailed to the following email address:
Deadline for submission is September 1st, 2017.
Winners will be notified individually by email prior to the annual breakfast and recognized in person at the annual breakfast.
The first place winner will receive a $1000 award. Second place will be awarded $300, and the third place winner will receive $200.